Monday, April 5, 2010

Did I Miss Something?

Now that Lent is officially over, and Easter Season has begun, (and will continue for the next 14 days according to my source) I feel a little more comfortable returning to the wine blog.  This quote from Michael Broadbent has me confused, "There are many wines that taste great, but do not drink well." Michael Broadbent has been around since 1927, he's an English wine critic, and because of his association with Christie's wine department, he has tasted a greater number of fine and rare wines than anyone else in the world.  According to Wikipedia, he's savored more than 90,000 wines.  By anyone's count, that's a lot of wine tasting.  So he's an expert, and the quote is exactly what you'd expect from a renowned wine critic.  I only include it here because it's just the type of thing that puts a regular wine drinker off.  Though I said I was confused by his comment, I know exactly what he means.  You can taste a wine and it will be delicious.  It will have nuance and color and rich flavors.  But when you pour a glass or two, the wine you thought was wonderful can turn out to be remarkably unremarkable.  Therefore, a "wine can taste great, but not drink well."  I get it. 

But the smart-alec English degree in me wants to say, "a wine can taste great, but sometimes it's not good to drink."  (Because really, wine doesn't drink, people drink.....).  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment